Polar links: On this site, links are added regularly to offer an updated selection of websites of polar interest. I have checked every site before I added the respective link and found it interesting and useful, but responsibility for the information and content of external websites remains with the respective owner of these websites.
Antarctica – South Georgia – Photography – Miscellaneous – Tour operators
- ICESat: a lot of interesting informationen about ice, climate change, …
- IAATO International Association Of Antarctica Tour Operators. Organization where most companies offering trips to Antarctica are represented. Main goal: self-control of Antarctic tourism industry with respect to environmental issues. Contains various information of interest, among others statistics on Antarctic tourism.
- The Polar Citizen Science Collective coordinates efforts to collect scientific data on polar expedition cruise ships.
- BAS (British Antarctic Survey) British Antarctic research. Various information about Antarctica, among others British stations, actual weather data,…
- Antarctic Treaty Secretary: The home of the “government” of Antarctica.
- The British Antarctic Place-Names Committee is the British authority for antarctic place-names and has a useful website if you need to find a name on the map.
- Deception Island is the website of the “Deception Island Management Group”.
- Australian Antarctic Division (AAD): Australian Antarctic research institute with highly interesting online magazine.
- Ross Sea Info is Dr. Bernie Gunn’s excellent site about the Ross Sea, with lots of great photos and information, especially about the regional geology. Yes, Bernie Gunn is the one who made the famous geological map of Victoria Land in 1962, together with Guyon Warren.
- Oceanites. Very informative website about Antarctica made by Oceanites, a foundation that has the purpose to gather and provide knowledge about the area. Oceanites are the makers of the very useful Antarctic Site Compendium.
- The Antarctic Circle “is a non-commercial forum and resource on historical, literary, bibliographical, artistic and cultural aspects of Antarctica and the South Polar regions.”
- Antarctic Guide. Informative webseite about Antarctica, made by professional expedition leaders and guides. And they are the ones who really know the place.
- Stanford’s London-based Bookstore where maps published by the British Antarctic Survey can be purchased.
Photography websitesAndersonImages – photography from the Antarctic and Arctic.
- Glacierbooks in Scotland offer a fine selection of secondhand and antiquarian Polar and Mountaineering Books.
Expedition cruise operators
spitzbergen-adventures.com, is Doreen Lampe’s company. Doreen offers mainly snow mobile trips and she is well capable of getting you out of the deepest snow hole if needed. Also special arrangements for film teams, photographers and more.
The specialist for diving in the Arctic and Antarctica.
UK based specialist in small group wilderness, wildlife, diving and photography trips from the Equator to the Poles.
Grands espaces polar voyages. A good contact if you are looking for a French-speaking voyage to the Arctic or Antarctic.
Jon Amtrup is a high latitude sailor and writer. He has written Harbour Guide Bergen-Kirkenes, Sail to Svalbard and King Harald Vs autobiography. In the wintertime he does Ski & Sail expeditions in the Sunnmøre alps.
- Spitsbergen Travel – Spitsbergen’s largest local tour operator, offering everything from daytrips to longer expeditions in summer and winter.
last modification: 2020-05-08 · copyright: Rolf Stange